One of my toddler’s favorite apps on my iPod touch is Wheels on the Bus, which I reviewed earlier this year. It engages her for a considerable amount of time and though she knows what it’s all about, she still giggles with delight every step of the way!
I’m happy to say that the designers at Duck Duck Moose have done it again! They recently released their second app, another interactive musical book based on a popular children’s song – Old MacDonald.
This entertaining app includes wonderful illustrations, lots of opportunities for interaction, and live music. It’s designed for children of all ages, starting as young as 18 months old.
Just like Wheels on the Bus, Old MacDonald is full of fun surprises that are found by touching the iPod’s screen. When you visit the farm you can:
- Dance a jig with Old MacDonald
- Shear a sheep
- Push a tractor
- Make chickens cluck
- Open the barn doors for waddling ducks
- Meet the painter Pig-casso
- Find a talking cow who reads the Moo Yorker
- Dance disco with some sheep
- Chase a hen
- Dig dirt with a bulldozer
- Drive a dump truck
- Watch a cow fly off in an alien ship
- Hang out with pigs lounging on mid-century modern furniture
- Jump with frogs on lily pads
- Help a dog eat a sandwich
- See a monkey steal a hotdog
- Pop some balloons?
- and much more!
Another cool feature is that you can change the language of the song – to French, Spanish, Italian, or German – or choose an instrumental tune to sing along to (violin, cello, piano, and even a kazoo!). If you have an iPhone you can even record your child’s singing and play it back for them!
My only complaint with Duck Duck Moose’s first app was that it was too short; this is not the case at all with Old MacDonald, which is at least twice as long, if not longer. Must be why it costs twice as much! 😉 Buy old MacDonald from the iTunes app store for $1.99 99 cents for a limited time!