My husband got a pretty awesome gadget for Father’s Day – a Good Call iPhone handset. Available at the Good Call Store on Tuesday, June 19th, this iPhone docking station is exactly what he didn’t know he needed. Basically, any calls he gets on his iPhone will go directly to this handset. With his office in the basement, my husband’s often running up or down the stairs to answer his phone, so this will definitely make things easier!
Unboxing the Good Call Bluetooth Handset
It’s hard to impress my husband, but he liked the whole Good Call concept immediately, even before opening the box. As far as first impressions go, Good Call makes a good one. The handset itself is very sleek and fits comfortably in your hand and against your ear, and the docking station has a very small footprint – 5″ x 3″ or so – but a nice weight to it, so it’ll stay put on his desk. What impressed me the most, because I set the unit up for my husband, of course, is how easy it is to get going. It literally took me 30 seconds from opening the box to making my first call!
Making the first Good Call
To make a call, you can use voice dialing or tell Siri to “call the husband”. Or if you have the iPhone docked or within reach, use that to search through your contacts. Answering calls is what my husband was most concerned with, though. And it’s SO easy! When the iPhone rings, you answer it with the handset. That’s it. If you have the iPhone 4 or 4S, Good Call will actually ring just like your phone. Cool. But the BEST thing? Your iPhone doesn’t need to be docked in order for you to make and receive calls on the Good Call handset. This means that my husband can leave his iPhone upstairs in the kitchen, but answer it in his office, and vice versa. No more of me and the girls yelling, in unison – “YOUR PHONE IS RINGING!!!”
“What did this cost, $200?” my husband asked. Apparently that’s what it’s worth not to have to huff and puff up the stairs to get to his phone. Sigh. Can’t he just appreciate the gift? I disclosed that I received it for review before he got the chance to grumble about me spending his money, haha! $80 seemed like a very reasonable price to him, by the way.
Good Call features
- If multi-tasking is your thing, you can talk on the handset while texting or emailing someone else on the iPhone.
- Not needing to hold the iPhone next to his ear reduces the threat of cell phone radiation, and that is a very good thing.
- Your iPhone will charge when docked. Considering how many iPods/iPads we have charging at any given time, this is great, as my husband’s iPhone always seems to be the one that gets unplugged!
- Sync your iPhone with iTunes with the USB cord, included.
- Get up to 4 hours of talk time on a single charge, according to Good Call, but my husband hasn’t talked quite this long so I can’t attest to this at this point. Ask me again in a few weeks.
- Compatible with all Bluetooth enabled devices. I’ll try it with my Android phone (if I can manage to pry Good Call out of my husband’s hands).
An HD option
While the Good Call handset is noise-canceling and has volume control, my husband did say that at times the call sounds “a little muddy,” but not to the point where it bothers him. I’m guessing Good Call is prepared for this, as they also sell an HD version of the handset, the iG1HD, which claims to deliver noise-free HD audio with a dual mic and more advance Bluetooth technology, for only $20 more.
Watch this video from youtube.com/goodcallbro to see Good Call in action:
A Good Call handset would make the perfect, practical gift for any iPhone user. It’s available starting today, Tuesday, June 19th at the Good Call Store for $79.99 with free shipping.
- Participate in the #GoodCall Twitter Party at 1pm EST this afternoon for your chance to win Good Call! Two units will be given away every 15 minutes during the party, plus 5 more prior to the party, for those who help promote the party ahead of time! RSVP here: bit.ly/GoodCallTP.
- Follow Good Call on Twitter and Facebook as they’ll likely be giving away units throughout the next month.
- One lucky reader of The Domestic Buzz will win a handset! Just leave a comment below telling me what your favorite feature is and a winner will be chosen at random next week.
For extra entries:
- Subscribe to my feed by reader or email. 1 entry
- Follow me, @ohMariana, and @GoodCallBro on Twitter and tweet about this giveaway one time using the Tweet button below, or copy this: #Giveaway! See awesome gift my hubby got 4 Father’s Day- #GoodCall iPhone handset -and enter to win one! bit.ly/LbJvfO #CBias - 1 entry
- Like The Domestic Buzz on Facebook. 1 entry
- Like Good Call on Facebook. 1 entry
- Follow me (ohMariana) and Good Call (goodcallbro) on Pinterest, and pin (or re-pin) this giveaway post. 1 entry
Disclosure: I am a member of the Collective Bias™ Social Fabric® Community. This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias™ and GoFusion, but all opinions are my own. #CBias #SocialFabric
Giveaway entry period ends Monday, June 25th, 2012 at midnight EST. US entries only, one person per household. Leave a separate comment per entry and a valid email address. Winner, chosen at random, has 3 days to claim their prize.